Well it’s that time of year again when the ghosts, goblins, and witches come out to play. However it is also that time of year when we are haunted by the fact that our house will most likely turn into a candy store. This can be especially frightening for those who are trying to lose weight or simply maintain their weight.
THE HAUNTING FACTS
Did you know that eating 9 small chocolate bars equals approximately 875 calories? Since it takes 3500 calories to put on one pound of fat we just have to eat 9 bars a day for 4 days to put on one pound. Wow! That’s how easy it is to start tipping the scale.
If we were to continue to consume one half pound of candy a week that would equal approximately 25 pounds of candy for the year. Double Wow!! That is a lot of sugar, fat and empty calories to be consuming.
This type of prolonged mindless snacking has some horrifying side effects such as:
- The onset of Type 2 Diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Heart Disease
- Acidity in the body, which can lead to illness and disease
- Constant Headaches
- Mood swings
- Tooth Decay/Gum Disease
5 TRICKS TO NO MORE TREATING
1. Buy your Halloween candy the day of. This way you won’t be snacking on candy for the whole month of October.
2. Place your wrappers in a bowl. This puts it all into perspective on just how many candies you are consuming.
3. When in doubt throw it out. If that candy bag is starring at you everyday then you need to get rid of it. Do not feel guilty for throwing it away; lets remember that there is no nutritional value in candy.
4. Lay out 36 small candy bars and remind yourself that this equals one pound of fat- is it really worth it??
5. When shopping for Halloween candy stay away from your favorites. You will be less likely to snack on the candies you don’t like.
I know I sound like a Halloween Scrooge but lets remember that it isn’t the damage we do on October 31st but its what we do leading up to and after the 31st that cause the real problems.
Halloween can still be a ton of fun without the calories. Think about it, this is the one time of year that you can walk down the street in a white hockey mask waving a machete and its completely acceptable. So have some fun with it.