So while we do the happy dance as the kids are off to school for another year the harsh reality of too many bbq’s, mojitos, and lazing by the pool have caught up to us. As we stand in front of the mirror naked, most of us are thinking to ourselves “Where did my bikini body go?” Trust me, it is still there, we just have to do a little digging for it. Like I have said before, we typically put on more weight over the summer months than the winter months.
So now what? Well, it is very simple, it is time to rip off the band aid and deal with the fact that we have let our fitness regime fall to the waist side……literally.
As we plan our children’s schedules for the school year we must remember the importance of planning ours as well. If we don’t schedule time for our health no one will.
10 Tips To Getting Back Into Shape
1. Schedule your workouts like a Doctors Appointment; you will be more likely to follow through
2. Find a studio or a gym that is close to your house – it is all about proximity. The closer you are the more likely you will go
3. Get some of the Mom’s in your neighborhood together and form a walking or running group
4. If your schedule permits walks with your kids to and from school this is a great way to burn some extra calories on top of doing your regular workouts
5. Limit your alcohol consumption or cut it out all together for a few weeks. Your body will thank you in so many ways plus you will shed some of that muffin top
6. Pack your lunch and or snacks when you are on the road. There will be no need to stop for empty calorie foods. Be prepared!
7. If your kids are in sports or activities after school don’t just sit there, use that time to get outside for a power walk, jog, run, or walk the malls though I know that could end up being an expensive walk – just think of it as a test of both mental and physical strength
8. Get away from the TV. Studies have shown that sitting in front of the TV will lead to mindless eating which will definitely lead to weight gain
9. Strengthen and Lengthen – Pick up those weights that are collecting dust and do some squats and lunges but remember to stretch. Stretching helps to lengthen the muscle back to its original state plus it helps to reduce stress both in the muscles and in the mind. FYI less stress makes losing weight much easier
10. Get reacquainted with the Canada Food Guide. Try your best to get your daily requirements of fruits, veggies, and proteins. Keep the family involved in meal planning and do your best to prepare fresh food at home………. A family that eats together stays together!
I hope you enjoyed your summer with family and friends and that it was filled with good times and happy memories.
Now get your butt back into shape, no more excuses!!
[Image: Flickr user BiggiFraley]