The May 24 long weekend, it’s almost here. You’ve been planning for the last week – sorting out fun things to do at the cottage.
Your co-workers have been chatting about it all week – and the ticking of the clock doesn’t go any faster when you stare at it.
Well, it’s finally here!
- Refreshments – You know what type of refreshments I’m talking about. The tall glass, the cold one – the adult beverage. Your very first instinct should be to stock up on the important things – the things that contribute to a quality weekend. Beer, wine, those fancy coolers, are you taking notes? When you lay back in that lawn chair that’s been calling you all winter – it’s going to be heaven.
- Groceries – Stock up. Clean water, maybe some fruits and vegetables and the rest of the typical cottage food. Burgers, steak, potatoes, marshmallows, maybe even some more meat? If you think you have enough food, you are wrong. You don’t want to go hungry out there in the Canadian wilderness.
- Fire Wood – You don’t need an oven – lets be serious. What you need is a couple of matches, a fire pit and some chunks of wood. Cook everything on that fire pit of yours, mostly meat, maybe some vegetables if you feel it. You do not want to be cooking food on pressure treated wood. Go pick some up some real firewood at your local hardware store.
- Sunscreen – It may seem silly that this is being suggested to you. But we’re a bunch of Oakvillians that have been accustomed to a rather chilly and dark winter. When that sunshine hits our pasty white arms, neck, and ears – we are going to burn. Who knows how deteriorated our ozone layer is now – you should just go ahead and get some S.P.F. 50.
- Bug Spray – Did you really think you could get away from the mosquitoes this long? Ontario cottage country is notorious for the charming black flies and bloodsuckers – stock up. Your spouse will think you smell like a chemical leak, but at least you won’t be fresh meat every bug in a mile long radius.
- Entertainment – If being lazy on the dock gets boring you should go ahead and consider bringing a form of amusement. Board games, movies, Scrabble? I’m only saying, but there are a couple playoff hockey games this weekend, you might want to bring that little portable radio you have sitting in your garage.
Now you are ready. Enjoy the long weekend Oakville!